Want to coach??
Coach Thomas and Coach Klotz
Are you a father/mother wanting to be involved by helping coach the team? Perhaps a wrestling alumni who would like to give back? Maybe you just want to know whats going on out there on the mat so you can help your wrestler with skills at home. Below are some steps on what you should do:
- Watch Coach Krause's Wrestling 101 video. Borrow this from Coach Thomas. This video goes over scoring, situations, and rules of wrestling. It also goes over proper coaching etiquette and the role of a parent in wrestling.
- Get Copper level certified through USA Wrestling. USA Wrestling is the governing body through which our youth and middle school programs belong. Our high school wrestlers also go through USA Wrestling in the spring and summer. Coach's Membership (Background Screening Required) Any individual who at anytime could be expected, in the performance of their duties, or due to their position in a USA Wrestling Chartered Club, to be alone with a registered USA Wrestling athlete for any given length of time, or could be expected to supervise or have custodial care of a group of registered USA Wrestling's members must become a USA Wrestling member coach and submit therefore to a background check as prescribed by USA Wrestling policy and procedures. Membership benefits include secondary, non-duplicating sports accident insurance provided by an outside carrier. There are sports accident supplemental benefits provided to USA Wrestling members who participate in limited non-sanctioned events. This insurance coverage includes a deductible, co-payment provisions and other conditions of the policy (details will be provided to club administrators); limited liability insurance (per the conditions of the policy); a one-year subscription to USA Wrestler; a copy of the international rule book (available in February of 2009); the privilege to coach at events and specified camps, clinics, international exchanges and club programs; opportunity for coach instruction and certification, discounts on wrestling gear, equipment and apparel; and other national discount programs as they become available. This card may not be used for competition. You also have access to our Online Broadcasts website located on TheMat.com.
Copper Level Certification http://www.asep.com/asep_content/org/usaw.cfm
If so desired you can go on to a Bronze, SIlver, and then finally a Gold coaching certification.
- Observe practices. Come to Youth practices and sit in. Observe most importantly the organization and time management skills. Once you are Bronze certified ask Coach Thomas if you can lend a hand.
- Continue your education with wrestling resources such as www.flowrestling.org and borrowing instructional videos from Coach Thomas.
- Finally when deemed ready, step out on the corner of the mat and get your coach on ;)